The Parables of Jesus: Luke 18: 1-8

1Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. 2He said: "In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared about men. 3And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, 'Grant me justice against my adversary.'

4"For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, 'Even though I don't fear God or care about men, 5yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won't eventually wear me out with her coming!' "

6And the Lord said, "Listen to what the unjust judge says. 7And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? 8I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?"



Have you ever been to the grocery store and seen a toddler with their parents? Having two kids myself (Soon to be three!) I can tell you that there may be nothing more annoying than when you're kids won't stop asking for things at the store. Usually after the second or third time asking, my jaw starts to clench, and my blood pressure goes up, and I set myself up against them getting anything at all! So when I read this I can feel what the judge is going through (if you don't have kids, try to imagine when your little brother or sister won't stop harassing you). Imagine that you are that judge, and that this person won't stop bothering you. Ever. Until they get what they want. No matter how strong you are, you will finally end up giving in to them, just to make them go away.

In the same way, Jesus says, we need to go after God like that in prayer. And then He calls that faith. If you want mercy, or anything else, go to God with persistence and passion. Drag your heels and stomp your feet if you have to, like a toddler who wants a new toy. And in the end, God says that He will bring about justice for you.

-Jeff-

About These Devotions

If you're reading this, it means that God has a plan for your life. But in order to figure out what it is, we've got to spend time listening to what He has to say. These devotions are meant to be an appetizer to get you interested in studying the Bible for yourself. They are a collection from the youth leadership of Reality Student Ministries. If you like them, subscribe either through RSS or e-mail in the sidebar, and then leave us a note and tell us what you thought.

Thanks,

-Jeff-

StatCounter