Philippians 1:22-26

Note: For the Summer we are reprinting some devotions that ran back when we were getting this site up and running. Hopefully this is new content to you, and we will get back into writing fresh devotions as our schedule allows.



22 But if I live, I can do more fruitful work for Christ. So I really don’t know which is better. 23 I’m torn between two desires: I long to go and be with Christ, which would be far better for me. 24 But for your sakes, it is better that I continue to live.

25 Knowing this, I am convinced that I will remain alive so I can continue to help all of you grow and experience the joy of your faith. 26 And when I come to you again, you will have even more reason to take pride in Christ Jesus because of what he is doing through me.



If you've been a Christian for any length of time, you've probably thought about this question: Why didn't God just take us to heaven when we got saved? In this passage Paul states that Heaven is far better than Earth. This is one of those "No duh" type statements. Of course Heaven is better. So if we're better off there rather than here, why aren't we there?

The answer lies in Verse 24. Our lives are not about us. We're not here because God wants us to suffer, but because there are so many more people out there that He wants to save. So what are you doing to accomplish your goal here on Earth?

One quick note, I find it interesting that Paul says in verse 25 "I am convinced that I will remain alive." Without knowing the future, He knew that God was going to rescue Him, because his job on this planet wasn't yet accomplished. Interesting.

-Jeff-

About These Devotions

If you're reading this, it means that God has a plan for your life. But in order to figure out what it is, we've got to spend time listening to what He has to say. These devotions are meant to be an appetizer to get you interested in studying the Bible for yourself. They are a collection from the youth leadership of Reality Student Ministries. If you like them, subscribe either through RSS or e-mail in the sidebar, and then leave us a note and tell us what you thought.

Thanks,

-Jeff-

StatCounter